US History and Biology will be administered on July 12th at 7:45 am.
Visit the Assessment link on the left for study resources.
Click here to see a book list for each grade level.
Over the summer, every student is REQUIRED to read one book from the list of the English class he or she will be entering in August. Reading responses are required, and questions to direct the answers of those responses can be found in this handout. Also, if you have taken an Accelerated Reading test on ANY of these books, please refrain from reading the book again
CSHS Media page has a link to Destiny Library which contains most of the summer reading novels as e-books. Log in using your lunch number and download the novel. The book will automatically return to the library after two weeks.
2016 CTE ROI
Congratulations to the newest National Honor Society Members!!!
Zane Absten Paige Joyce
Elise Anderson Angelie Kelley
Jamie Ang Halley Lane
Victoria Aucamp Airiana Lindback
Vanessa Bang Jady Lopez
James Britton Emma Marsden
Kelsey Caputo Amanda Midling
Gabrielle Comeforo Alexandra Munafo
Chloe Costa Robert Oshaben
Kaitlin Darrow Brooke Peacock
Lauren Farr Lorena Perez
Christian Frisone Jakob Pooley
Rebecca Galvan Kendra Powers
Sofia Garcia Rubiselda Rey
Sofia Gonzalez Connor Rhyne
Samantha Gutierrez Bailey Robinson
Kiersten Heilbron Kaily Seiler
Joshua Holper Sean Walters
Jordi Hortensi Anna Wright
Julianne Jankowski Jack Yeager
Alia Jones Caitlin Yong
½ Mill Referendum
Renew Flexible Funding for Monroe County Schools
The District’s objective is to continue to make available a portion of the existing capital ad valorem tax levy for operations – such as teachers, school nurses and classroom materials. The District intends to continue its reduced millage for capital projects (.5 mill), and continue to make available the equivalent amount for operations.
- The voters will be asked to approve a renewal of the ½ mill on March 15, 2016. The ½ mill was first approved in March 2003 to be assessed in the 2004 tax year and was renewed twice since the initial vote. Those elections were held in January of 2008 and January of 2012 and passed by overwhelming margins.
- The current ½ mill generates $11.3 million or a little over 12% of the District’s revenues and is used for the items noted above.
- What have we done with our revenues? We promised the voters that we would use a large portion of the referendum revenue for the teachers. As of last year, Monroe County teachers had the highest average and median teacher salaries in the State.
- It is important to understand that no matter how anyone votes on the referendum it will not increase individual tax bills. It will only affect where the school district can use the revenue - either the General Fund or the Capital Fund. Our Capital Fund balances are sufficient to meet the needs of the capital program.
- Should the ½ mill fail to be approved by the voters then the Monroe County School District will face a major budget shortfall. Should the General Fund absorb a $11.3 million budget reduction in the next fiscal year, it would most likely have a detrimental effect on student outcomes and assuredly have a devastating effect on our employees.
- District schools continue to perform well on State required tests. School grades released on February 12, 2016, show that ten district schools earned a grade of “A”, five schools earned a “B”, and one school earned a “C” grade. The Monroe County School District earned an overall grade of “A”, up from a “B” in 2013-2014. In addition, when compared to other school districts in the State of Florida – MCSD improved from a rank of #23 in 2013-2014 to a rank of #14 in 2014-2015.
Teacher of the Year,
Two members of The Coral Shores HS sailing team, Sam Baker and Emma Marsden sailed in the Great Oaks National Invitational Regatta this weekend in New Orleans at Southern Yacht Club. They finished 2nd overall! The conditions were challenging with 50 degree temperatures and 18-25 knot winds today.
Only three teams qualified from the South Atlantic Interscholastic Sailing Association district to compete in this national event. CSHS will be engraved on the Perpetual Trophy that is for the top first time team competing at this event. (Photo below) For some reason the Saturday race results for Red Fleet are not up. They finished 1st on Saturday in the Red division. Based on Saturday's results all teams from both Divisions were ranked in gold (top half) or silver (bottom half). The gold and silver fleets raced 8 races today for the final overall rankings.
The scores are online at scores.hssailing.org, then go to Great Oaks Gold for the final results.
See the attached Press Release for more information.
Monroe County Public Schools Free/Reduced Lunch Application
OneSource Online Instant Processor application entry makes it easy and convenient to apply for meal benefits for your child(ren). Simply enter the requested information as accurately as possible, and all data will be instantly and securely sent to your child(ren)s school district for processing. Start your family's meal benefits sooner by entering your information now.